Tuesday, December 7, 2010

my 2010 Breast Cancer 3-day recap

This year I walked again (a 2peat walker!) in the Komen 3-Day Breast Cancer walk.
And, it's safe to say that this year's walk was MUCH different than last year. And by that I mean it was much rainier and colder!

See if you can tell which picture is from this year, and which is from last year.
So obviously the pictures on the left are last year. Bright, sunny, tank tops. And the pictures on the right were this year. Gray, rainy, layers.

But, do not be fooled. I loved every minute of it. Well, except this minute.
Ok fine. Even this was memorable... Day 2 of the walk was filled with pouring rain--almost 9 hours of straight rain to keep us company on our walk. Brr!
I've never done that much while being that wet. It's "one for the books" as they say. 

Day 1 was breezy and cool, and day 3 was a roller coaster of different types of weather--yes, including rain.

I walked as captain of my team, Too Sexy. Everyone did amazing and walked every mile. We all met our fundraising goals and collectively raised over $26,000. Wowie wowie.

I loved walking this year. I had my mom and aunt by my side. We even all wore the same head wraps. Check out these hotties.
Some highlights of the rainy, windy, love-filled 2010 3-Day Walk
  • My team (5 of us who were repeat walkers) showing up dressed in TONS of pink – much more pink than last year.
  • My mom’s bouncing fanny anytime she heard music blasting from all of the people cheering us on.
  • The San Diego and San Jose bike cops who kept it silly and light-hearted, even when the rain wouldn’t let up.
  • The man handing out 7&7 shots (whiskey and 7-up). Mmmm!
  • My aunt Carmen’s laughter and silliness as she kicked butt as a first time walker (and didn’t get a SINGLE blister).
  • Cramming into small school busses to eat lunch, just to get out of the rain for a few minutes.
  • Waiting for my flight home and being congratulated by 5 other walkers in the airport.
  • Being able to push through all the rain and cold and mud!
To my team, I'm so proud of you.
To my aunt, I love you and you make me smile.
To my mom, I can't believe you did better than me on the walk...again. And fine, I love you too.

Thank you to all my donors and supporters for making this year possible.


No comments: