Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pumpkin Spiced Pleasantries

As you may recall, one of my most favorite things about Fall is all of the pumpkin-flavored goodies and treats. Well, after a 2.5 mile walk to work today, I stopped into Peets coffee to get a plain ol' black coffee. Then I saw that they now offer a pumpkin spice latte as well (just like the 'bucks). So duh, I got one!

Nummers.

Anyhoo, while I was waiting for my delicious pumpkiny treat, a homeless man came in and bought a black coffee with his change.

He was friendly and joking with the employees, clearly a regular. Then he came over to the creamer station where I was standing in anticipation of my pumkin goodness.



"Time for the science experiment part" he said as he eyed the creamer and sugar options.

"Just put everything in there, that's the way to do it." I told him.

Then he laughed a good, deep laugh and reminisced about science experiments "just like when you were in 7th grade, remember those days?"

Once I had my pumpkin perfection in hand, I wished him a good day and left. But it made me kinda sad. Hearing him talk about 7th grade, and thinking about my own experience in 7th grade....I wondered where his life had changed.

And this isn't to say to say he struck a cord with me and now I look at every homeless person differently...but it made me curious. He was so nice and friendly, and so happy to have his coffee. Next time perhaps I'll treat him to a Pumpkin Spice Latte and giggle with him some more.

However, as I never go to Peets (except today for some reason), I'll probably never see him again.

No comments: